Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a partner to learn to dance?
- No. In fact learning on your own, means that you are getting 100% of your teacher’s attention on your Private Lessons. Practicing and learning the things that you need. If you are learning with a Partner this time is split.
- Also, we do teach leading and following. So, Ladies, we do teach you to follow, so you can dance with any Man, regardless of his ability to “Lead”. Men we do teach to you Lead, so you can dance with any Lady, regardless of her ability to “Follow”
Do you have more Ladies than Men?
- On average we have an equal number of Men to Ladies
- On your Private Lesson this is irrelevant in that you either have you partner learning together or your teacher is you partner
- In Group Lessons, after we learn the step or technique we are reviewing, we get you to try out with all Partners. These Group lessons are where we average an equal number of Men to Ladies. When the numbers are not even you might have one more practice on your own before trying out with all Partners in the Group.
- On our Social Nights, most of our men know a good social dancer should and be able to dance with any partner. The social nights are a chance to practice this skill.
How much are your lessons?
- The easy and best answer to this is our first Lesson, which is a Private Lesson, is Free
- To expand: On this first lesson we find out what you are interested in, and what you have done before, we give information and answer all of your questions. We then have a dance lesson going over 2 or 3 of the most popular dances. At the end of this lesson, you will know if learning to dance is what you want. We know, what is the best way for you to start. We will be in a position to go over: Costing, Schedules and times
What should I wear?
- For your first lesson, it does not really matter. All we ask is you wear shoes that do not fall off. Our dance floor is great for any soled shoe.
- Ongoing, Ladies – skirts or dress are good to feel the correct movement.
Can I learn with my Partner?
- Yes, half of our students learn with their Partner, the others learn on their own
- Private Lessons as a couple, you will learn together at your standard doing the dances you like
- Group Lessons, most couples do swap partners within the group, to try out with other partners honing their Partnership skills. There is no requirement to swap partners in the Group Lesson.
- Socials, likewise there is no requirement to swap partners at the Socials, most do – it is the “social” thing to do
Do you teach Wedding couples?
- If you are getting married in the next 2 weeks, we recommend going straight into lessons for your wedding dance, and have your free lesson after the Wedding.
- If you are getting married 3 or more weeks out. Bring your music if you have, and have a free consultation lesson. We will then make recommendations for you.
- Learn to dance as soon as possible. 4 to 6 months out we can make you very comfortable dancers, not just for your wedding dance, but, also to all songs played throughout the night.
What age group do you teach?
- We are an adult dance studio, we have taught students as young as 14, with their Parents. It is important to us, anyone under 18 years of age, must be learning to dance because they want to, not because someone else wants them to learn.
- Never too old. The eldest person we ever started to teach who had never danced before was someone in their 90’s
- The average age of our student on the Gold Coast would be into their 50’s
What dances do you teach?
- We teach all dances you can do with a Partner
- The main dances include: Foxtrot, Rumba, Tango(s), Swing, Cha Cha and Waltz
- We also teach: Salsa, Mambo, Rock and Roll, Jive, Merengue, Bachata, Samba, West Coast Swing, Bolero, Paso Doble and Viennese Waltz, plus more
- We encourage students to try out the “main” dances plus any others early on. Then we only do dances you like and want to the standard you wish to obtain.
What times are you open?
- We are open Tuesday to Saturday from 9.30am to 7.30pm
- Friday & Saturday afternoon and evenings are by appointment
- We have group lessons during the week, day and early evenings. With 2 groups on Saturday morning
- Our Social are alternating Friday 6pm to 8pm and Saturday 11am to 1pm, towards the end of the month
Where are you located?
- We are centrally located in Ashmore: Suite 7, 115 Currumburra Road
- Free parking is available on the street, within the building, or at the Ashmore Plaza Shopping Centre Car Park